Sleep Apnea TreatmentSnoring can often indicate a more serious problem. If you’ve been diagnosed with sleep apnea, we can help you get a good night’s rest at last.
Sleep Apnea Therapy in Fort Lauderdale
What is Sleep Apnea?
There are three types of sleep apnea: obstructive, central, and mixed. Of the three, obstructive is by far the most common. Despite the causative differences of each type, people with untreated sleep apnea stop breathing repeatedly during their sleep. This may happen hundreds of times during the night and can often last for a minute or longer. In central sleep apnea, the brain fails to signal the muscles to breathe. Mixed apnea is a combination of central and obstructive sleep apnea.
What is Obstructive Sleep Apnea?
Obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) is a serious condition in which the sufferer stops breathing during sleep due to a completely blocked airway, sometimes for up to a minute at a time. OSA is an extremely serious condition that can result in extremely fragmented and of poor quality sleep and should be treated by a qualified physician.
Who has OSA?
OSA occurs in 24% of men and 9% of women,* which are approximately as often as adult diabetes. Although sleep apnea can affect anyone at any age, it is usually between the ages of 45-65. Due to a lack of public awareness, the vast majority of sufferers remain undiagnosed and therefore untreated despite the fact that the disorder can have serious medical consequences.
The Cycle of OSA
- The sufferer falls asleep.
- Muscle tone in the body relaxes.
- The airway narrows and/or collapses, causing breathing to be difficult or impossible. The collapse of the airway may cause loud snoring, snorts pauses in airflow, and labored breathing.
- Oxygen levels begin to fall.
- They continue to struggle for breath, sometimes for up to a minute.
- The heart rate falls below normal, and there is decreased oxygenated blood to pump through the body.
- The brain senses low oxygen/high carbon dioxide levels and releases jolt of adrenaline in an attempt to awaken their brain and body and prevent suffocation.
- The sufferer awakens briefly and takes five or six large breaths breathing in oxygen and blowing off excess carbon dioxide (CO2). The sufferer typically does not remember arousal but often repositions him or herself on the bed.
- The heart rate speeds up in response to the rush of adrenaline and is now pumping above normal heart rate.
- The oxygen/carbon dioxide levels return to near normal and their brain allows sleeping to resume.
- The sufferer falls asleep and the cycle repeats
How do I know if I have OSA?
The best way to find out if you suffer from sleep apnea is to have a sleep study conducted either in a hospital or in your home. There are several symptoms of OSA which include:
- Decreased sex drive
- Excessive daytime sleepiness
- Poor concentration/memory
- Morning headaches
- Gastro-esophageal reflux
- Sore, dry throat on waking
- Being accident prone
- Increased cholesterol
Consequences of OSA
The consequences of OSA can be very serious and include an increased risk in the motor vehicle and work-related accidents and poor job performance. It can also lead to family tension, an irritated bed partner and a general decrease in the quality of life.
The Epworth Sleepiness Test
Take the Epworth Sleepiness test to see whether you may have a problem with daytime sleepiness.
How severe is my OSA?
The severity of OSA is measured by three variables:
- Blood oxygen level, the presence of daytime sleepiness and the number of apneic episodes per hour-also known as an Apnea/Hypopnea Index (AHI).
- An AHI of 5-15/hr is considered mild sleep apnea.
- An AHI of 16-30/hr is considered moderate sleep apnea
- An AHI of +30/hr is considered severe
If you think Obstructive Sleep Apnea Treatment could help, contact The Kodish Group for more information on Obstructive Sleep Apnea Treatment.
Fort Lauderdale Dental Services
At Kodish Dental Group, our top priority is to provide an oral health care experience that’s truly comprehensive. Whether you’re in need of restorative care, tooth replacement solutions, or transformative cosmetic treatment, we want our patients to always be able to trust in the skills of our team as they work towards full oral health and beauty. Take a closer look at some of the services we offer below!
TMJ SymptomsLearn More
Subperiosteal Dental ImplantsLearn More
Porcelain VeneersLearn More
Root CanalLearn More
Dental Implant SurgeryLearn More
Laser DentistryLearn More
Restorative DentistryLearn More
Cures for SnoringLearn More
Emergency DentistryLearn More
Mini Dental ImplantsLearn More
Fountain Of YouthLearn More
Smile MakeoversLearn More
Teeth WhiteningLearn More
Dental ImplantsLearn More
Dental TechnologyLearn More
TMJ TreatmentLearn More
Enamel ShapingLearn More
Intraoral Air StreamLearn More
Adhesive DenturesLearn More
6 Month BracesLearn More
Restylane InjectionsLearn More
Intraoral CameraLearn More
Sleep ApneaLearn More
Dental OcclusionLearn More
Root Dental ImplantsLearn More
Waterlase Dental LaserLearn More
Digital Dental X-RayLearn More
Plate Form Dental ImplantsLearn More
Bruxism TreatmentLearn More
Cosmetic DentistryLearn More
TMJ CausesLearn More
Real Clients, Real Reviews
My experiences have been very positive. Dr. Kodish is well versed on the latest procedures and technology and his staff is equally as competent as well as being supportive.
I needed a new crown and they made it onsite same day with a laser machine. I was finished same day it was awsome and the staff makes you feel like your right at home
Great service and extreme friendly office. They replace a broken tooth in one day. Visiting from Newton Maa
My experience with the Kodish Dental Group has been wonderful..kind.. patient staff.. excellent work
An Outstanding Dentist, professional, knowledgeable with an expert touch. The staff is warm and friendly, made me feel comfortable, which is very important to me wen going to a dentist… A++
The cap to my tooth popped out while I was in town waiting to take a cruise. What to do? Found Kodish Dental Group close by my hotel and they immediately took me in for xrays and consultation. The staff and dentist were so pleasant to work with. I don’t know what I would have done without them. Highly recommended. They would be my dental group of choice if I lived in the Area.
This is the best dental office in Fort Lauderdale! Always pleasant to deal with, and very competent dentistry. Love you guys!
I have been to many different dental office in my lifetime. Kodish Dental Group is the first office I have ever been to that can do it all. Dr. Kodish has all the latest equipment to diagnose and treat issues you have with your teeth, jaw and bite. After an emergency visit to Urgent Care to be diagnosed with a jaw issue, because I was unable to determine the source for the tremendous pain radiating from my left jaw. I then discovered Dr. Kodish‘s office by searching for someone who could help me. Within a week my pain had diminished, and within two weeks I had no residual problem. I am thrilled to have found Dr. Kodish and his knowledgeable staff. I can’t wait to go back for my cleaning!